Solemnity of Mary, The Holy Mother of God
1st January 2020
• Happy and blessed New Year to you.
• As we take our first toddler steps of this New Year, 2021, and as we celebrate the Solemnity of Mary, The Holy Mother of God, we look back and acknowledge that the year 2020 has been a very challenging year. It is a year that some people are referring to, as, annus horribilis, which means a year of disaster or misfortune.
• It was a year that was marked with; pandemic, lockdowns, church closers, school closers, business closures, lay-offs, morbidity, quarantines, curfews and social distance. It is the same year in which companies which were set up to supply cereals were awarded multi-billion shilling tenders to supply medical equipment.
• Certainly we have all experienced the rough edge of life in the course of this year.
• Nevertheless, the year 2020, has also been a year of grace and many opportunities. We were all forced into a school of life for a crash-program on important life-lessons.
• And what lessons have learnt in the course of the year 2020?
1. We have learnt that there is nothing like a ‘super-power nation’ in the world. All nations of the world struggled with the Corona-Virus Pandemic in the same way. Some third world Nations even handled the Pandemic in a better way than the so called “Super-powers”
2. We have learnt that we should always cultivate cordial relationship (friendship) with those we live with in the same house/home. We found ourselves spending many hours and days in the same house with our family members during the lockdown days.
3. We have learnt that eating healthy diet and remaining active should always be part and parcel of our daily life. Doctors have been prescribing food supplements, foods, fruits and physical exercises as cure to Corona-virus for patients who have mild symptoms.
4. We have learnt about the need for self-surrender to God’s will and power. We had a lot of plans for the year 2020, but we were forced to adjust those plans. We are to always remain obedient to God’s; will, plan, time and speed.
5. We have learnt that, we are all interconnected and that we need each other at the end of the day. Many of us who were able, freely shared their resources with the less fortunate amongst us without waiting for the government or foreign countries to come to the aid of the needy.
6. We have learnt about the importance of observing good hygiene. Vegetables from the market were well cleaned and strict adherence to washing of hands has now become our lifestyle.
7. We have learnt about the importance of technology and the knowledge of how to use it. Such platforms like Zoom and Skype kept us connected and moving on.
8. We have learnt that Money is not a solution to everything.
9. We have learnt that, staying alive can at a time be the only single personal progress and achievement in a year.
10. We have learnt about the need for well-equipped/staffed hospitals within the country.
• The year 2020, has been an important year and it has not gone down in waste; we have learnt a lot!
• 1 Thes 5:18; “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- We have learnt a lot!
- We have remained alive!
- A great number of those who have been sick have recovered
- We have created more time for each other as families.
- We have created more time for God, we have grown in faith.
- We are more conscious of observing good hygiene
- we now know better how physical exercise and eating healthy is important
• As we begin this New Year;
- We hope and pray that it will be a better year.
- Let’s carry along with us the lessons of 2020.
- We have become innovative in various ways during this year; let’s carry along with us this spirit of creativity of the year 2020.
- Let us reflect on the mistakes that we might have made in the year 2020 and seek not to repeat them again in 2021.
- Let us not be wasteful; we are to spend prudently and save every coin where possible.
- Let’s embrace the culture of staying home where possible.
It will save you from lots of trouble.
- Let’s continue to wear a mask, physically distance and practice good hygiene. Let’s continue to protect each other.
- Let us remain connected to God and we shall have a successful 2021; “I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me” John 15:5
- As we take our first toddler steps of this New Year, let us not forget to listen to the voice or messages of God for us throughout this year. It may be disguised as trials, hardships and doubts. However, amidst all that we shall have to go through, let us steadfastly hold onto our faith in God, for He will not fail us.
- May we seek for the intercessions of The Holy Mother of God throughout this year.